If you’ve ever found yourself staring longingly at leg of cured ham or a tenderly wrapped prosciutto around a piece of melon, asparagus or fig, you’re in the right place.
Welcome to Deli Cymreig’s round up of our top four cured meat best sellers, some of which may new to some of our customers!
Cured Meat #1 – Bresaola
Bresaola is traditionally an Italian dish of raw beef cured by salting and air-drying, typically served in slices with an olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper dressing.
At Deli Cymreig, we have our own version of Bresaola made entirely from Welsh PGI Status Beef and with a lot in common with the drier varieties of Bresaola made in Italy or of Cecina made in Spain with a hint of chilli.
This Bresaola is ready to eat, best served at room temperature and excellent alongside other air-dried products as a light lunch or part of a dinner party platter, with good bread, chutneys and a glass of wine or beer.
Cured Meat #2 – Chorizo
When people think of chorizo, people generally think about the Spanish version which is made from coarsely chopped pork and pork fat, seasoned with garlic, smoked paprika (Pimenton) and salt. It is generally classed as either picante (spicy) or dulce (sweet), depending upon the type of paprika that is used.
At Deli Cymreig, we offer three different types of chorizo including:
- Blood, chocolate and wine chorizo which is an unusual but very popular chorizo based on the Mexican (mole).
- Spicy chorizo made from the finest Spanish smoked Pimenton de la Vera paprika in combination with a chilli powder to add heat. The cured meat can also be used in cooking in either a pasta sauce or a casserole.
- Sweet chorizo which is also made using Pimenton de la Vera paprika but a sweeter, less spicy version to suit a different pallet.
All our chorizo products are ready to eat, though some prefer to warm it slightly in the pan to bring out the flavours as much as possible. This cured meat can also be used in cooking casseroles.
Cured Meat #3 – Sobrasada
Sobrasada is a distinctive, paprika-spiked, raw, cured sausage that’s eaten like pâté. The sausages are made by seasoning chopped pork with paprika, made on the islands (Majorca in particular) using locally-grown red peppers. Once seasoned, the meat is stuffed into casings and hung up to cure in the open air, usually for between one and eight months depending on the size and shape of the casing; they range from very long and thin to short and fat, depending on which part of the pig is used.
The Deli Cymreig version of Sobrasada is a spicy, soft, spreadable chorizo which can be used in cooking or simply spreading on toast. Some keep it simple and have as part of their dinner party platters as something a little different, however it is most commonly used in wide variety of cooking. For example, you can add to a casserole or pasta sauce and will melt in, or simply spread over a piece of fish, cover with foil and bake for an instant sauce.
Cured Meat #4 – Carpaccio
Carpaccio is a traditional Italian appetizer usually made from finely sliced, raw beef, drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice, and finished with capers and onions.
In contemporary cuisine, carpaccio can refer to any thinly sliced raw meat or fish served in this fashion. Even thinly sliced vegetables or fruits are sometimes served as carpaccio. Interestingly, carpaccio is named after an Italian painter who was known for employing bright red in his works, evoking the bright red of the raw beef!
At Deli Cymreig, we are pleased to be able to offer our customers a variety of carpaccio products including:
- Welsh beef carpaccio with coriander made entirely from Welsh PGI Status Beef and dried to a delicate soft texture with a hint of coriander which is the perfect accompaniment to enhance the flavour.
- Welsh lamb carpaccio with rosemary is also made from PGI status Welsh Lamb dried to a delicate soft texture with a hint of Rosemary.
- Wild Venison dried to a delicate soft texture made from entirely British wild red deer, with a hint of Juniper to enhance the gamey flavour.
These top four cured meats are just a small selection of the meat and other fresh products we sell at Deli Cymreig, along with a range of locally sourced accompaniments including chutneys and cheeses.
You can see our full range at our stall in Swansea Market or you can order online at www.bestonlinedeli.co.uk